Saturday, July 30, 2016

Three for the Show


Yesterday, I told you a bit about our new book, The Sword of Freyja. Even though issue #1 isn’t complete, I decided to take advantage of an opportunity. Since artist Matthew Waite, cover color artist Elizabeth Breitweiser and I will be at Mark Walter’s Dallas Comic Show on August 6th & 7th.  I offered to make a special preview book for all the VIPs ticket holders.

The preview book has the first 6 pages of Sword of Freyja #1 plus another Vanbreed Studios story featuring the work of Ron Marz, Darryl Banks, Terry Austin, Ross Hughes and Troy Peteri. So it will be a pretty cool little keepsake that is exclusive to the show.

This is a bit of a gamble for a couple of reasons. The biggest challenge is; we don’t have an interior colorist yet for the book so we had to do gray scale backgrounds. So while the art is there, it doesn’t come to life the way the work of a good color artist does.

The next challenge, we didn’t have enough time before having to go to print to have Rachel Deering do the lettering, so I picked up that task. I can do an ok job but no one will confuse my work with a pro like Rachel (check out her great work on Amelia Cole sometime).

As I said, this is a gamble. You are always concerned when you don’t put your most polished work out there but the opportunity to get the preview in the hands of a couple hundred people while a big part of the creative team is there was too great to pass up.

I will let you know how it goes. If you are a VIP at Dallas Comic Show and get the book, let me know what you think.

As a little bonus, here is the cover by Matthew and Elizabeth plus a really short print cover I will have the show for sale.














See you in the funny books,

Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment