Monday, August 8, 2016

Dallas Comic Show



This past weekend, I was a featured guest at the Dallas Comic Show. This is a fun show, most of the featured guests are comic creators with a handful of media guests and cosplay guest. The big focus of the show is the comics. 

This was my first show as a featured guest. I have exhibited before at cons but this was the first time with my name on the marquee. It was a great time.

A few days ago I posted about my concerns bringing a preview book that only had a portion of the first issue of Sword of Freyja and those pages didn’t have the final colors. Looking back in hindsight, it was the correct decision.

The show gave out a copy to their 150 VIP attendees and because I am completely OCD on things, I noted each interaction with the fans. 

54 people brought their copy to be signed by Matthew Waite (artist), Elizabeth Breitweiser (cover color) and I. We got a lot of great feedback, most of it positive. Even the negative was constructive so I will consider that positive in the long run.


Signing books

One thing I did learn at the show was, I need to work on is my quick pitch for the book. We had several folks who didn't get a VIP copy come up and ask me what the book was about. For the first few, I found myself stammering around trying to explain the plot for the first story arc. 

After doing that three or four times, I finally got it down to a more concise pitch. "The Sword of Freyja is the story of Jenifer Nguyen, who has just recently gotten out of the Army and started her first civilian job. It should have been easy money, going on an archeological dig for the tomb of the Goddess, Freyja but once they find the tomb, things go horribly wrong. Talk about your bad first day on the job."

This provided enough information to start a conversation without overloading the person with a lot of details that they may not have cared about.

So to summarized, Dallas Comic Show was a great time, the gamble of doing the preview book paid off because we got a lot of great feedback and it gave me an opportunity to practice my book pitch.

So now it's back to finishing the book. We still have to find a interior colorist and finish the last 10 pages of issue number 1. I will try to give you some sneak previews along the way.

See you in the funny books,
Allen
Elizabeth Breitweiser and I in front of the my banner


Matthew Wait and I pitching the book!

1 comment: